Ashanti Fortson is an award-winning cartoonist, illustrator, editor, and professor with a deep interest in difficult emotions, quiet moments, and the rifts and connections between human beings. Their work explores transience and reflection through a tenderhearted lens, and a good comic essay will always brighten their day. Ashanti lives in Baltimore with their spouse, their cat Miss Cheese, and at least three pet rats at all times. They're the spider-saving sort.
Ashanti's short comic Leaf Lace won the 2021 Ignatz Award for Outstanding Comic, and was nominated in the categories of Outstanding Artist and Outstanding Online Comic. Ashanti also won a Prism Award as part of the Heartwood: Non-binary Tales of Sylvan Fantasy anthology.
Ashanti is currently working on their debut graphic novel, Cress & Petra, from HarperCollins.
• DC Comics, Wonder Women of History – “Judith Heumann” written by Marieke Nijkamp and lettered by Janice Chiang (2020)
• Bitch Magazine, Issue #87: Fantasy – “Capturing Comfort in the Time of Instagram” (2020)
• Valor: Cups | Fairylogue Press – “A Castle of Thorns” (2020)
• Wayward Kindred | TO Comix – Assistant Editor (2020)
• ZEAL – “Through Whose Eyes” (2019)
• POMEmag – “Before Our Time Is Up” (2018)
• Heartwood: Non-binary Tales of Sylvan Fantasy | Power & Magic Press – “Morel Support” (2018)
• Valor: Wands | Fairylogue Press – “Spell It Out” (2018)
• ZEAL – "This Feeling of Comfort" (2018)
• The Sun and the Wayward Wind | Dandelion Wine Collective – "Heritage" (2018)
• The Nib – "I'm Not A Robot" (2017)
• Tabula Idem: A Queer Tarot Comic Anthology | Fortuna Media – "Homeward" (2017)
• Dirty Diamonds #7: Imagination – "A Normal Life" (2015)
• Creator Spotlight: Ashanti Fortson (2021)
• SHUT IN THEATER: 9 comics for your first itch.io binge
• Spacetime Heals All Wounds: A review of Ashanti Fortson’s smallness
• SPX Preview: ‘smallness’ Tells a Big Story About Being Human
• Wow! Webcomics! Review: Galanthus by Ashanti Fortson
• You Should be Reading: Ashanti Fortson's GALANTHUS
• Eight Comics To Help Cure Your STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI Hangover
• ComicsAlliance Weekender
Workshops & Interviews:
• The Textile of Grief: An Interview With Ashanti Fortson, Creator of “Leaf Lace” (interview by Brahidaliz Martinez, 2021)
• Capturing Comfort with Ashanti Fortson (workshop for The Believer, 2020)
• Between The Panels (interview by Kevin Sharp, 2020)
• Disability Visibility Episode 59: Comics (podcast interview by Alice Wong, 2019) – transcript
Clients include Abrams Books, The New York Times, Medium, Bitch Media, and more.
Currently available for freelance illustration, speaking engagements, workshops, and any other cool projects.
Please direct publishing inquiries to Susan Graham (email@example.com).
For anything else, please reach out at firstname.lastname@example.org.
They can also be found on Twitter and Instagram.